Monday, February 14, 2011

Powering a sustainable society- I will be the change needed

One main point Dr. Ling drives home in our Sustainability Lecture series is the fact that the most successful attempts at sustainability are on the community scale. I think this is an excellent point. Success comes when you are working in a small connected group, much like that of a community. Results can actually been seen, felt, measured and shared with those around you. With this in mind I feel that powering a sustainable society starts at home; it starts with my home. In addition to information I have a acquired in our Sustainability lectures I am also part of a major project group working with the Solar Colwood project in Colwood, BC. Both of these environments have helped fostered a once large, but now attainable goal for myself and my future home.

netoworkworld.com
The Solar Colwood project is working closely with the T’Sou-ke first nations who have recently embarked on a large but prosperous solar project. Of particular interest to me are the large displays of PV photovoltaic solar panels lining two of their major buildings, as well as panels lining the adjacent lake. Approximately 30 solar panels are able to power one approximately 1,500 square foot building. During the summer additional energy produced is fed back into the “grid” system. During the winter while less energy is produced it is sometimes essentially to require energy from the “grid” however, over the duration of the four seasons; net energy required is zero. In addition back-up batteries store energy that could provide the building up to approximately three days if no sun was present at all. The entire system consists of 30 PV panels which are required to face east at a 45 degree angle, one unit which turns the energy generated from the sun into usable energy for the building, one unit which feeds additional power back into the grid system, and a number of back-up batteries. The entire system costs approximately $50,000 with each solar panel costing approximately $1,000 a piece.

solarnavigator.net
As a prospective homebuyer, I am excited to utilize this new technology. I have also considered a shallow geothermal unit, cost approximately $20,000, but have decided PV is a better investment for me. It also makes sense to attempt to build this large cost into a mortgage as opposed to attempting to save.  As $50,000 is a large cost, I have decided that purchasing the required system components and approximately 10 PV panels to begin with is an excellent idea. As years pass additional panels can be purchased to add to the system.
As a new homebuyer I feel this will also benefit the future community I choose to be a part of. Let’s face it, new neighbours are nosey. I think they will be especially nosey when they see the installation of all these PV panels on my roof. But perhaps I change their thoughts. Perhaps I will inspire others to do the same. I will be able to share my story, and my savings with others. Since the price of oil is never going to decrease, only increase, I want to be ahead of the game. I feel that I have all of this new knowledge of technology it would be a waste not to utilize it.
In closing, I will be the start of powering a sustainable society. I will be the change I want to see in the world, and will hopefully influence others to do the same. It all comes back to community.

No comments:

Post a Comment